Monday, September 29, 2008

Not quite there yet

This evening's blog is about how I look approximately 14 years old. I know that I look younger than I am, and yes I am sure that when I am 65 years old I will appreciate that greatly! However, I am 24 years old, and would very much to enjoy to look 24. It is truly embarrassing sometimes...
Last week, I decided that due to a very stressful time at work, I would treat myself to a pedicure just for fun. I am sitting in the lovely massage chair and enjoying relaxation and this is the conversation that occurs:
Nail Lady: You get nails done for homecoming?
Me: No. I'm 24.
Nail Lady: Oh, so you're over all that?
Me:Yeah, just a bit.



One time, I was in BJ's and I was shopping for the weekend because my in-laws were coming to visit for the first time and it was the night before they got here. I was already stressed out and feeling crazy and I had a huge cart full of stuff. I was scanning my list for items that I missed when these two girls (probably 20-21 years old) stop me. They were holding thing's that made me think they were trying to sell me something, so I was already irritated. I am usually terrible about saying "no thank you" and walking away because I feel bad. Not this time.

Girl: Hello, are you here all by yourself?
Me:(foolishly thinking she was inquiring about my husband) Umm...yeah.
Girl: Ohhh really?? You look so young!Well, do you happen to own your own home?
Me: Yes. I have to go now.Bye.

She thought I wasn't old enough to be a grocery store by myself!

See, I understand that I look young, but why do these people not have any tact? Once it was established that I am older than I look, they continue to dig their hole! At least try be polite after you have discovered your mistake.

I am 4"ll and a half...that doesn't help. Plus I have a very young looking face. Please people, just at least think before you speak. It's not acceptable to tell people that they look older than they are!
Can you imagine this conversation?

Girl: Are you here all by yourself?
Old Lady: Yes....I am 45.
Girl: Ohhh wow! You look t0o old to be going out by all yourself! It's amazing you can still see to drive!


The first time I met Wolf's family was when we went for Christmas 3 years ago. His dad and his dad's girlfriend took us out to dinner. First:
Host: (looking at me) Will you be needing a kid's menu?

Then, we sit down to eat and I ordered a Strawberry Margarita.
I get a coke glass full of pink ice...I sip it.
Waiter: Oh, did you want a real margarita?? I assumed you would be ordering a virgin one.
Me: Nope,I wanted a real one.
Waiter: Oh, well I need to see your ID
Wolf: (sipping his beer, that he did not get carded for) She is older than I am!

Ok, I am done with my rant.

The End!

4 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

HAHA!

I love you Mary.

Unknown said...

Oh Mary Mary, I'm right there with you. Probably not as bad as you've got it though. I get carded for EVERYTHING. When I was 12, I looked 16. Today, being almost 24, I still look 16. :( My biggest gripe I think is when people say "You'll love it when you're older!". Well, I don't love it now, so stop saying it! Arg!

I miss you, lovey!

mayr said...

me too! i get anywhere between 12 and 22. usually on the lower end, though. and only older if i'm with my sisters, and they can't tell who's older. but i'm still kind of a kid anyway... i'll probably really dislike it when i'm 21 and older...

Alyssa said...

I totally understand..Just this year..this year...I almost got carded at a liquor store. Can you believe that? The guy looked at me intently like he was about to ask me for my D.L.. I am 33 years old, darn-it!! But I can say it does get more complimenting when you get older. Maybe when I hit 40, then I will fully appreciate it.. So, hold tight dear. There is an end.