Thursday, September 18, 2008

As Promised

It's late, but I am keeping my promise to blog for real today!

So this last week has been interesting. I had strep for the first time since I had my tonsils out 8 years ago, and now I have infected my poor husband. We have been super sickies for the last week. This is causing me to want to totally clean and disinfect my whole house this weekend. Those silly munchkins and their icky germs.

On a more positive note, I am so excited for fall! The weather last couple of days has been so beautiful, I hope it's not tempting me only to snap back into summer next week.I love walking outside in the morning or evening and feeling slightly chilly.

Now, I am going to be serious, which is an unusual occurrence. God has been teaching me a lot this past week. I think He is always teaching me a lot, I just am not a good listener. I am realizing how much more I learn when I keep my mouth shut and listen to Him, instead of frantically going about my life like I actually know what I'm doing. Focusing on His words instead of my own, I have been a better manager at work this week and more mindful of what I am doing and why I am doing it, not because I am good, but because He is SO good. When I am at my wits end at my job or I am not feeling well, it's so much better for me to listen to what God might be leading me to, instead of working myself up into a frenziful pity party.
Prayer is so powerful not because what I am saying to God, but what He is so excited to tell me.
Working with kids is a CONSTANT reminder to me of what I must be like to God. He is constantly having to tell me the same things over and over when it usually falls on deaf ears, just like when I say "don't put your fingers in you nose" all day long. I do things that I know are bad for me, but choose to do them anyway, I whine about everything and I am always asking for more. Unlike me with the kids, God is patient with me and His gentle consistent answers remain the same, no matter what the tantrum. His profound mercy and patience is more than I could ever imagine, He has a lot more kids to take care of then I ever will, but He is not annoyed, and this amazes me. From this, I am reminded to be patient with the beautiful toddlers that drive me crazy all day long, because how much more is Jesus patient with me?
Kid's are always willing and ready to be dependent on their parent or caregiver and will rely on them for the thing's they need. I would like to be more aware of how much I need God, and freely rely on Him for it by surrendering this grip I have on my life, and this need to control it.
I certainly wouldn't let a two year old run my classroom all by himself.

3 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

Wise words Mary, you're one smart woman.

Randy and Terry said...

Mary, so true, so true!!! I often find myself thinking these same things. Thanks for the reminder.

Emily said...

umm, you are so amazing. also Jesus is amazing. thanks for reminding me to love Him and seek Him. I LOVE YOU!!! you are beautifulllll.