Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Poppy, not to be mistaken with poopy

It's been a month since I have blogged. There just wasn't a whole lot to write about.
The past couple of months have been pretty nuts. I have had four surgeries in 5 years for a condition I have called Endometriosis. It's a girly disease. I have an unusually aggressive form of this and it enjoys to attack my internal organs. There are not a whole lot of treatments, and after my last surgery in October, my doctor told me I had two options for treatment to avoid serious and potentially life threatening complications.Ready for the options??

1. Menopause- they put you on drugs for 6-9 months that throw you into artificial menopause. I have already done this and my body reacted horrendously to the drugs, to the point where I could not physically function in everyday life.It was hands down the worst 9 months of my life. The only difference this time, is that they have a new drug that is paired with it, which increases the side effects. What fun!


2. Get pregnant by August 09


So, we opted to try for the baby.

I guess this was the right time, because after our first month of trying... I am pregnant!

Four weeks. It's so early that anything could happen, but I am (trying really hard) to trust God with our little baby who is currently the size of a Poppy Seed. We have decided to call the baby whatever its being compared to in size that week. Week 4 is poppy seed week.


I am considered a high risk pregnancy because of all my issues, so I am being closely monitored by my wonderful doctor. I think he was my favorite person to tell. He is very sweet, but not the most emotional man. When he walked in to see me today, he was beaming! I would even go as far as to say that he was giddy with joy. He then proceeded to tell me how we "didn't waste any time", and "i am so happy" and "i am so proud of you guys!". He walked me through my records and surgeries and explained in detail why it is so wonderful that I am going to have a baby.

I have to get blood tests twice a week, sonograms once a week, and a doctor visit weekly until he is satisfied that its all good. Apparently I am also on a special"list" of people who if they call, they get put through to my dr. at any time of day, no matter what. So, as crazy as this all is, I feel well taken care of.

I know most people like to wait a while before they tell people they are pregnant to make sure that everything's ok, and I totally understand why. However for me, that doesn't work. First, because I am not good at keeping happy secrets, and also, being so high risk, I want the people I care about to know and pray for our baby and for us as soon as possible! If we have to go through something hard, we will be glad to have amazing family and friends in our lives to walk and pray us through it.
Telling people has been my favorite part.

here are some of my favorite reactions...

"You're pregnant? How'd that happen??"
" What did you say? I don't think I heard you... No, you're playing a mean trick on me...no you're pulling my leg"-mom

"AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"
-i will give you one guess who that was, anyone?


We are so overjoyed and so thankful for this. Thanks to all of you who have already been praying for us and with us. Thanks for all the encouragement and excitement. We feel really loved. Please keep praying for Poppy and for us as we begin this crazy new adventure. Feel free to give any advice you might have to share!

I will let ya know what Poppy's name is next week:).

10 comments:

Alyssa said...

SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!
LOVE TO YOU AND POPPY SEED!

Em said...

Hey! Congrats! I'm so excited! call me! 2068591055 <3 Emilie

Randy and Terry said...

So thrilled for you and Wolf. That is gonna be one VERY loved baby. Enjoy every minute!

Genelle said...

Mary! I'm so excited for you and Wolf. I'm 10 weeks from the end of a high risk pregnancy myself so I know how emotionally stressful it can be. Josh and I have seen God step in and provide for us in some miraculous ways and I'm sure that He can do that for you too. We will be praying for you!

amy@flexibledreams said...

I am SO excited for you!! And, the up side of high risk is the constant monitoring. I hated going an entire month between doctor visits! Lots of love to Poppy!

Unknown said...

Yay Poppy! I am THRILLED for you! I love you Mary (and I love Poppy already!) We'll be praying every day!

mayr said...

:D :D :D

i am SO excited for you and wolf and you baby!!! you will be an awesome mom :)

miss you! hope we can catch a date sometime soon.

p.s. just a guess, but the AAAAAAHHHH might have been emily g?

Mary said...

Mary got it right! Emily G. is the correct answer:)

Emily said...

I have no idea what you are talking about. I was very calm cool and collected. :-)

(I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Matthew Bourque said...

they better be twins!!!!