Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sesame!

Our little Poppy has already grown into a Sesame! Little Sesame and I have had quite a week.
Last Sunday is when I found out I was pregnant, so that obviously was very exciting and happy. Monday, I called the Dr. to tell him I was pregnant and let him know that I have been having a lot of abdominal pain for a couple weeks. I thought this was pretty normal because the whole reason I checked to see if I was pregnant was because my mom had similar pain during the beginning of her first pregnancy. Apparently, its not so normal and is alarming for a person like me with endometriosis. So, I was sent to the ER (aka-my home away from home). We got there around 11 am and I seriously wasn't super worried about anything, my body is weird so I expect my pregnancy to be weird. It wasn't until two hours later when I spoke to the Triage nurse that I began to be concerned.
MTN= mean triage nurse.

MTN: So you have been having some cramping?
Me: Yes
MTN: And I see you have a history of endometriosis
Me: Yes
MTN: And you're pregnant?
Me:Yes
MTN: Well that could mean you have an ectopic pregnancy.
Me: What's that?
MTN: Oh well its potentially fatal for you and there's nothing they can do for the baby.it's when the baby is growing somewhere other than inside your uterus. If its not caught in time, it will rupture.
Me: Ummm ok....
MTN: Ok, go ahead and go back to the waiting room and we'll call you when we're ready for your sonogram.

What has happened to bedside manner?At this point, my heart was pounding and I was starting to feel heart broken. How the heck can this woman make such a presumption after checking my temperature and blood pressure and asking a couple questions??
So, we waited...and waited...for a long time. Then another hour and a half later, I get called back for the ultrasound. The tech told me that sometimes she can see and sometimes she cant, so I kept asking her if she saw anything and all she said was "no" and "have you had any bleeding??". Then I was shipped back into the waiting room and I was barely holding it together. I cannot believe how much I already loved this poppy seed sized kiddo that I had only known existed for less than 24 hours. I really felt discouraged and so incredibly sad.
We waited for another 2 hours and got called for some more tests. MTN was just as cheery and encouraging as ever and it was becoming more and more difficult to hold myself together.
Meanwhile, my peaceful and sweet husband was a rock. He kept reminding me that God is in control and that all we can do is trust Him. He definitely kept me sane.

Finally around 5 I got called into a room by a wonderful nurse who was a friend of a friend. That was like a present from Jesus Himself. She was so incredibly kind and encouraging and excited for my baby instead of assuming the worst. The Dr. came in soon after that and basically told me it could be tons of different things but that its too early to tell. Then I went home.

I continued having increasing pain, pain like I have never before experienced and my fear continued to grow. Then, Thursday came around...the Hospital called and said this, "Hi, when you were in here on monday, your pee looked normal but it turns out that you have a bad bladder infection".
Huh, welp that was a relief! A wee bit annoyed at how things were handled, but mostly relieved. This is definitely the first and probably only time I will ever be happy to have a UTI.

My own lovely Dr. is not overly concerned and his instincts are that things are gonna be ok, but he's obviously keeping a close watch on things.

Good and important lessons learned after this roller coaster kind of week:
God is good, and He is so much bigger than me.
I need to have more faith.
Worry, fear, and anxiety are not helpful.
God hears me and responds in His way and time.
My husband is absolutely perfect for me.
I have an unbelievably amazing group of friends.
I gotta learn to trust God daily with the little things so that I am in good practice for the big things that come along.

Alrighty, I have gone on for long enough.
Keep on praying for little Sesame, whose heart will start to beat this week!

6 comments:

Erin said...

You amaze me with how you can take such a roller coaster somewhat crappy week and be able to see what God is teaching you.

Yay for the heartbeat! I can't wait til sesame starts to grow arms!!!! hahaha! Love ya!

Emily said...

i love youuuuu and i love wolf and i love sesame. i prayed for you guys a lot today. you are beautiful and amazing and i am so glad you are in my life. sesame is so lucky!

amyB said...

Oh. heck. no.

I wish I was there, so you could have called me up and I could have WHIPPED that MTN into shape. :(

Tell Sesame Auntie Amy says SHE LOVES HIM/HER/HOPEFULLY HER!

Randy and Terry said...

OMG! Good thing I wasn't there 'cause MTN would be HISTORY!! How horrible for you, Mary. But, how fantastic you are to be able to take that experience and see what God had in it for you. I am praying for you, Wolf and Sesame. Can't wait for next week! ;)

Matthew Bourque said...

I'm praying for TWINS!!!!!

cassy said...

Mary...Cassy Here! Got your blog address from facebook. Anyway I am so excited for you guys. How far a long are you??? Hang in there! Pregnancy is one of those unexpected, full of surprises type of ride. Be positive and enjoy being pregnant the rest is up to god! drink lots of cranberry juice! If you have morning sickness try Captain Crunch..taste deliciouse going in and coming out!!! Keep posting! If you have any questions feel free to ask...I've had it all!
Good Luck Mary I'm so so happy for you!!!